The Komen NC Triangle Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® has just invested another $1.1 million dollars in 19 community organizations through our Community Health funding program. The awarded funding will address the local need for breast health services through breast cancer education, screening, treatment support services, post-diagnostic care, genetic testing for high risk women, angel funds, exercise therapy and support groups for women and men who are uninsured or underinsured in our community.
Through community support of programs like Komen NC Triangle Race for the Cure®, Pinkfest and 3rd Party Events the NC Triangle Affiliate has awarded more than $13 million to local community programs since its inception in 1997. Komen NC Triangle remains committed to creating a local impact by dedicating 75 percent of the Affiliate’s net income to fund local programs like the 19 that are being awarded this year.
These community health programs will use their funding to help local uninsured, under-insured, low-income, and underserved women and men gain access to breast cancer screening, bilingual breast-health education materials, survivorship support, and other ancillary support services. Services provided will address the existing gaps in breast healthcare, as identified through the Affiliate’s breast health community assessment, done every two years.
Funding was awarded to the following community health programs based in the NC Triangle Affiliate’s twenty county service area:
Caring Community Foundation Inc, “Pay It Forward”
Community Health Coalition, “Sisterhood Project Phase V”
Duke University, “Community Based Breast MRI Screening”
El Centro Hispano, “La Damas de Rosa / The Pink Ladies”
El Pueblo, “Comunidad Sana”
El Pueblo, “Hazlo Por Tu Familia”
First Health of the Carolinas, “Moore Screening”
Lee County Health Department, “Power of Pink Partnership”
Lincoln Community Health Center, “Mammograms for Low-Income Uninsured Women & Men”
Nash Health Care, “Twin Counties Breast Cancer Initiative”
Piedmont Health Services Inc, “Project Access – Chatham”
Piedmont Health Services, Inc. “Project Access – Caswell and Orange”
Rex Healthcare Foundation, “Rex Mammography Certificate Program"
Rex Healthcare Foundation, “Rex Surgical Biopsy Certificate Program”
Scotland Memorial Foundation, “Mammography for the WIN (Women in Need)”
UNC-Chapel Hill, “Genetic Testing”,
UNC-Chapel Hill, “Get Real and HEEL – An Aftercare Breast Cancer Program to Improve Quality of Life”
Wake County Human Services, “Educate our Women (EOW)”
Warren County Free Clinic, Inc, “Warren/Vance Komen Initiative”
Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, and the Komen NC Triangle Affiliate is one of 125 Affiliates on the front lines dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities. Komen Affiliates fund innovative programs that help women and men overcome the cultural, social, educational, and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment.
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen NC Triangle Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The NC Triangle Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stay in the Komen NC Triangle service area. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 919-493-2873 or visit www.komennctc.org.